Giving agency to those who own the story is an important part of building capacity in others. Think about it, who has the best perspective to tell a story? The person who lived through the experience of course. But sometimes, it can be hard because those stories…they never have a chance to be told. They never have a chance because of so many factors that were never really in their control to begin with. But, thanks to sustainable efforts around the globe, those stories do have a chance of being told now.
Stories like those of children that now have a Shot@Life because they have received a life saving vaccine. The stories of their mothers that can rest easier knowing that their children that, thanks to a simple vaccine, that so many of us take for granted. Just think if instead of telling the story of the remaining 1% of polio cases, the voices of the 100% of the population that successfully eradicated polio could be told instead. Stories like the ones of ten girls whose from around the globe, surviving and overcoming obstacles each day to become self sufficient.
The question remains…what can you do to help build capacity in others so that one day, they can share their story by rising to their own microphone?
- You can help support the effort to give children a Shot@Life with the new Moments Matter App for both Iphone and Android. The new mobile app lets parents rise to their own microphone to tell the story of their child’s “firsts,” by capturing photos and childhood moments from 0 to 5 through the milestone tracker as well as building awareness about the Shot@Life campaign and the life-saving vaccines that help give children around the world a shot at a healthy life.
- Involve your family with the Trick or Treat for UNICEF campaign where children and trick or treaters can raise funds in their own unique ways with a special kit from UNICEF.
- Support World Polio Day on October 24, 2012 by sending a letter (that is already created for you!) to your member of Congress.
- Be active with the 10×10 and the International Day of the Girl by taking action to empower and educate girls around the world. Find out how to support the movie Girl Rising coming out in the spring of 2013.
- Get involved in #GivingTuesday, a day to remind us that the giving season is more than just about wrapped presents and shopping. November 27, 2012 will be the day that reminds us that giving can happen all year round, and can look like so many different things to different people. The most important thing is that we give. As individuals, families, or communities. Of our time, our resources, or even our kindness, to help support others that maybe one day can rise to the microphone themselves to inspire and empower others.
Empowering others to rise to the microphone is the best way we can foster self sufficiency in others. Girls, children, moms around the globe…there is so much potential for the future. Whether we are encouraging others to share milestones, or engaging in development or social action…what could be better than fostering the voices of many to tell their own stories?
.I participated in the Social Good Summit as a Shot@Life Social Good Fellow. My expenses to attend #SGSGlobal were provided. No other compensation was received. All opinions are my own—because well, this is important. This is what Live.Do.Grow. is all about.